Friday, November 6, 2015

National Picture Book Month: Mo Willems

191113


I have been a HUGE fan of Mo Willems since I read the book Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! He is a gifted storyteller, as well as a wonderful illustrator. Right now two of his pigeon books are in our Top Ten Checkouts by students. All of the kids, no matter what their age enjoy them. 




490867If you haven't read any of his Knuffle Bunny books you really should run to the library and check them out. The first book is a story many parents can relate to Trixie, the little girl in the story, leaves something very important someplace. The story is great, but the illustrations really make the story for me. Mo Willems took real photographs (in black and white) and used them as the background for the story. Then he drew his characters and placed them on top of the background. It is really neat to look at the real photographs with these drawn characters on top. 

7846067Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie books can't be beat. I love them all, though my favorite is We Are In A Book! This book was a Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor winner a few years ago. I always try to celebrate Friendiversary in February. This is when the first Elephant and Pigge book was published. They are some of the most well loved books in our HES Library. I also have a lot of fun with Kindergarten with Elephant and Piggie's Dance Party on Mo Willems site. They kids have so much fun and there are so many giggles! The newest Elephant and Piggie book is called I really like Slop! I can't wait to get it for the HES Media Center!!

624744I think my favorite Mo Willems book is Leonardo the Terrible Monster. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This book is a sweet tale about friendship. I loved reading it to my classes. It is one that I never get tired of reading aloud. And I love when the students create their own monsters after we have read it. They can be so creative!
Do you have a favorite Mo Willems book? Share in the comments if you do!!

Keep checking back and following on Twitter for more great posts about National Picture Book Month. Don't forget to print out the calendar and find some new authors.

Happy Reading!!

Miss Hazuda (@HESMediaCenter)  



No comments:

Post a Comment