Friday, July 8, 2016

Book A Day: Sweet Home Alaska



Even though I haven't been posting all my books, I have been reading every day! Being able to read is one of the best parts about summer. I hope that everyone else has been taking time to read as well. I ran into a wonderful HES family Wednesday in Target and they were so excited to tell me that they had just been at the Public Library. And they even showed off the badges that they had received from the reading program.





25489429One of the books that I have recently read is Sweet Home Alaska by Carole Estby Dagg. Click here for a summary on Goodreads. This is an awesome historical fiction book. For many years I didn't really enjoy historical fiction, in fact, I had to force myself to read it. But after a few suggestions from "book people" that I respect, I realized I had just been reading the wrong books! It has become a genre that I really enjoy. 

This book takes place during the Great Depression. Like most historical fiction books, this book takes place during a real life event. It introduces you to the Palmer Colony project in Alaska. I have always been fascinated by Alaska. One of my favorite vacations I have taken with my parents was to Alaska. I wanted to read this book because I had visited Palmer, Alaska. It just made the experience of reading the book even more special. Even if you haven't been, this is still a wonderful read. 

I would recommend this book for 4th and 5th Grade students. I would even recommend to their parents as well. 

Happy Reading!!

Miss Hazuda (@HESMediaCenter)

No comments:

Post a Comment