Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Book A Day: Hensel and Gretel Ninja Chicks

I just absoultly LOVE the ninja series that Corey Rosen Schwartz has created around familiar fairy tales! They are so hysterical, I laugh no matter how many times I read them. The newest book is Hensel and Gretel Ninja Chicks by Corey Rosen Schwartz and Rebecca J. Gomez. This book, and the two others, were illustrated by Caldecott Medal winner Dan Santat. Click here for a summary on Goodreads

Fractured fairy tales have always been a favorite of mine. I fascinated to see how the author takes a familiar and well loved tale and puts their own spin on it. Corey Rosen Schwartz has a really knack for tweaking the story and making it so funny. As I was reading this one I realized how this one ties back to The Three Ninja Pigs. I'm not going to spoil by telling you how, but pay attention to the words and the illustrations. And speaking of the illustrations, Dan Santat's are WONDERFUL!! He is such a gifted illustrator and that truly comes through in this book.

I think next year I'm going to have to set up a ninja display and include the two I have mentioned above and Ninja Red Riding Hood, as well as a few other ninja books. These books would be great for PreKindergarten though 5th Grade students. Picture books still have a lot of value for older readers!

         26192916              13586798               18012467

What books have you been reading this summer?

Happy Reading!!

Miss Hazuda (@HESMediaCenter)

No comments:

Post a Comment