Monday, May 27, 2013

Perfect Square--Kindergarten Activity

It has been a while since I've posted anything on here.  With Book Fair at the end of April, it has been a nonstop roller coaster.  It is hard to believe that we have just a few weeks left of school!  I'm going to be posting quite a bit in the next few weeks because we have a lot of activities happening and being introduced.

Perfect SquareOne of the nominated books for the Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award is Perfect Square by Michael Hall.  Click here for a summary on Goodreads.  I just loved this book!  It's a very fast read, but the kids have fallen in love with it.  After reading it and see what things the square could be made into, I gave each student a square.  I told them that they could cut, tear, rip, crinkle, wrinkle, or whatever they wanted to do to change their square into something else.  I gave them glue, so they could put the pieces together.  Then, if they wanted, they could get a piece of paper to mount it on.  After they finished, I let them use crayons to add details, if they wanted.

I was amazed at how creative my Kindergarten students were with this activity!  I wanted to show off a few of their creations.  I used a tech tool called Animoto.  It is a really neat tool to share photo or illustrations.  There is a free version, all you have to do is set up an account.  You can email the "movies" or embed them like I have done here.  Hope you enjoy them.


Keep checking back for updated information.


Happy Reading!!


Miss Hazuda 



Make your own photo slideshow at Animoto.

Make your own slideshow at Animoto.

No comments:

Post a Comment