Monday, January 28, 2013

Excitement in the Book World Today!

Today is one of the most exciting days, because it was the day that the Newbery Award, Caldecott Award and many other awards are handed out.  I am so pleased with so many of the decisions that the committees made this year.  For this post I'm just going to talk about the winners of the Newbery Award and Caldecott Award.  I'll follow up soon with a post about some of the other awards and the Newbery and Caldecott Honor Awards.

The One and Only Ivan
To say that I am pleased with the winner of the Newbery Award, is an understatement!  I am over the moon with the award going to The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.  If you or your child haven't read this book I highly recommend it.  Click here to see a summary of the book.  I recommend this book for 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade students.  With 3rd grade students it might be a good idea for you to read it with your child or before just so you have an understanding of the story.  See the book trailer below to see a bit about the story.





This is Not My Hat
The Caldecott Award was given to This is Not by Hat by Jon Klassen.  I love this book as well.  Click here to see a summary of the book. Th illustrations in this book are incredible!  The story which was written by Jon Klassen, really added to the illustrations.  There is a moral to this story.  It is a great one that both kids will like, and parents will enjoy.  This is a companion book to his earlier book I Want My Hat Back, which in 2012 was a Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Award winner.  See below for the book trailer for This Is Not My Hat.


Hope you enjoy these books as much as I have.  If you read them, please post a comment and let me know what you thought of the books.

Happy Reading!!

Miss Hazuda





No comments:

Post a Comment